Reader Question – If you have/do try to convince Protestants to become Catholic what is do you say to them? What would convince Protestants to leave Protestantism all behind and become Catholic? What advantages in your Christian lives as a Catholic do you see over Protestant Christians?

14 Responses to “Catholics: What Would You Say To A Protestant To Convince Them To Become A Catholic?”

• Danny H C.A.B. says:

< >
    Convince? Well, nothing. There is nothing anyone can say that will convince any Protestant – especially an obstinate one – to become Catholic.
    That isn’t how it works anyway.
    < >
    The Truth. No Catholic has to “prove” or “convince” anyone of anything. All a Catholic has to do is tell the Truth.
    < >
    Nothing.
    < >
    Catholics have the Fullness of Revealed Truth.

• Jon says:

I don’t know if there is any one thing a Catholic can say to turn a Protestant to God’s Church. Conversion is an act of the Holy Spirit. In that light, we Catholics must remember to above all things love them. They are our brethren in Christ. We must love them and pray for them. Our Spirit-guided example and the love of Christ channeled through us is what wins hearts.
    Loving them also means instruction. If a Protestant asks about the Catholic faith, be prepared to answer them with kindness and gentleness in your heart.
    Love them and pray for them.
    To Larry: Your comments about the Catholic bible are incorrect; study your biblical history. Also, celibacy is a grace from God. If you don’t agree with this and think that Protestants are correct in their beliefs, then why are you Catholic? It sounds like you need to pray and spend some time adoring the Blessed Eucharist.
    God bless.

• Daver says:

Best thing I could say would be, “Read the Catechism.”
    I thought I knew everything there was to know about the Catholic Church because there were all these anti-Catholics and websites telling me what Catholics believed. I just never got around to asking an actual Catholic.
    Then, when I started reading and thinking for myself, I saw that a lot of Catholics were as misinformed about the Church as a lot of non-Catholics were.
    Read the book. Find out exactly what they believe and exactly why they believe it. At least then it’ll be an informed decision.

• Tolstoye says:

It would be easier to convert a Protestant than a Vatican 2 Conciliarist Novus Ordo to Catholicism. The latter would rather poison the Tridentine Catholic than listen! Tridentine Catholics try very hard to help them. Not so the other way, proving again that Christ’s traditional truth stands without Conciliarism.
    Some of the Novus Ordo do not even KNOW they ARE members of the Vatican 2 Conciliarist Church, so blythe are the “resident” members, who ought to have caught on in the mid-1960′s, when EVERYONE KNEW.
    The priests did catch on. Too well. They resisted! It was their priestly duty to resist Mass violations and sacrament invalidations. In the 1980′s the Conciliarist plan was to “re-educate” them [spell that b r a i n w a s h] was performed on them, and like “Stepford priests” they emerged meek and controlled. The priests of Underground Scotland of the 18th Century would be ashamed of them. They were traitors instead of martyrs. Their new, young members went to re-educating” under the name of RCIA, so that they would not learn any “bad stuff” from parents who had been Catholic 20 generations back!
    Their faithful cannot defend why they believe revised Mass and sacraments can be valid. They just say the “pope can do it.” Wrong. Even the Protestants understand the situation better. Most of them know that a “pope cannot change doctrine.” That was why the hierarchy and the Conciliarists left to begin with! They wanted “new” doctrine, and since it cannot be changed, Viola! they wrote new encyclicals contradicting the existing ones! Unfortunately, they took a billion willing ninnies with them!
    God will not lead a true believer to the Conciliarist Vatican 2 organization. None of them are Catholic. Therefore, it is necessary that when you pray, you pray to have the True Faith given by Pope Pius XII and all his predecessors and God will lead you there. Mention him and pray. His name is Father Eugenio Pacelli.
    traditionalmass.org

• lyn1136 says:

A Protestant is not going to become a Catholic until and unless he is convinced of the Truth of Catholicism. In other words, you cannot force your friend to convert. You can pray for him, answer his questions, give him a book or books to read, invite him to Mass with you, send him in the direction of a good priest, and above all, show him much charity and patience. Then step back and let God’s Grace work … God “who will have all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
    Advantages?
    1. The Catholic Church is the One, True Church, founded by Our Lord Jesus Christ.
    2. The Catholic Church has the seven sacraments, instituted by Christ, for our help and salvation.

• Buggy says:

I am a Catholic convert.
    First off, I am not sure you can “convince” someone to become Catholic. While you can (and should) share the Catholic faith with a non-Catholic with solid Catholic teaching, i.e., the CCC and the Scriptures, conversion is something that must begin within a person’s soul with the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
    The Gospel of Matthew says:
    “Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words–go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.” Matthew 10:7
    We have a duty to share our faith, but if a person doesn’t want to listen, we cannot “force” them to receive the truth.
    Q. What advantages in your Christian lives as a Catholic do you see over Protestant Christians?
    A. As Bishop Fulton Sheen said, “If faith doesn’t prove it history will, that the Catholic Church is the true Church of Jesus Christ.”
    Most Protestant churches have earthly founders that were former Catholics: Henry VIII/Cranmer (Anglican), Luther (Lutheran), Calvin (Presbyterian/Calvinism), etc. You even have Protestant churches emerging from other Protestant churches, i.e., Methodism and Congregationalism from the Anglican Church, etc. As you can see, as they split and divide, they move FARTHER from the Universal (Catholic) Church. The Catholic Church on the other hand has no other Founder except for Jesus Christ Himself. The Catholic Church is ONE, because there is only ONE Lord, ONE faith and ONE baptism (Ephesians 4:5). It is HOLY because its Founder, Jesus Christ is holy and the people IN the Church share in the God’s holiness (1 Peter 2:9). It is UNIVERSAL or CATHOLIC because it is a faith for ALL people and nations (Matthew 28:18-20). It is APOSTOLIC as the faith is built on the APOSTLES with St. Peter as the First Among Equals (Matthew 16:18).
    With all that said, the best conversion “tool” of them all is prayer. Pray for our Protestant brothers and sisters that their hearts will be open to the true faith. In the meantime, be a good Catholic Christian witness of the faith, share your Catholic faith when it is appropriate and let the Holy Spirit do the rest :)

• theosis9 says:

i think they recite the athanasian creed and that says the catholic church is the true church so if they believe that then why are they protestant Lutheran and Presbyterian

• Douglas says:

The truth. Though the Catholic Church has had some problems, it is the actual religion Christ taught.

• ggg says:

If we are living our faith according to the manner in which Jesus Christ called us to, then we can best express the trueness of our faith and the Catholic Church by the lives that we live and the love that we share for all of our brothers and sisters in Christ.
    As for convincing anyone to leave their faith to become a Catholic, we can only plant seeds, it’s up to God through the Holy Spirit to change the hearts and minds of men/women. If anyone is seeking the fullness of truth, Jesus said “Knock and the door will be opened”.
    What so many people tend to forget is that there are many more similarities between the Catholic faith and most Protestant faiths than there are differences. My own experience in speaking with and reading posts from Protestant brothers / sisters is that most objections seem to center around the Churches claim to apostolic authority. If a person honestly wants to understand the Catholic faith, then they should at least try to learn how and why the Church defends this claim with an open mind and heart.
    Being a Catholic myself and someone who is constantly on a journey to learn more about my faith, I can say that the best way to learn what the Catholic Church really teaches and believes is to 1 – Try to get past any preconceived notions that you may have heard from non-Catholics about what Catholics believe (I have heard plenty myself and struggled with some issues even as a cradle Catholic). 2 – Try to get the story from the horse’s mouth (I recently wanted to learn as much as possible about the Jehovah’s Witnesses faith. Rather than read only books against the JW, I also read their own material and went to their website. Then I evaluated the information for myself. BTW, I’m not converting to JW). There are plenty of websites and books that a person can refer to find out exactly what Catholics believe. 3 – Pray, pray, pray for God to give you guidance to all truth. As a Catholic, I truly believe that a person will be guided to the truths of the Church if they pray with an open heart and open mind, but if someone can prove the Church wrong, I am always open to hearing their position. After all, I am also always praying for truth with an open mind and heart.
    What advantages? That’s hard to say because I’m not Protestant and I don’t claim to have a full understanding and knowledge of all Protestant theology to compare to Catholic theology. The only way that question can be answered is for someone to stand on both sides and see for themselves. I might recommend the person talk to someone who either, was a Protestant and became Catholic or someone who converted from Catholicism for their input and evaluate the information with an open heart / mind themselves. Any answer that I give based only on my own Catholic faith would seem arrogant to any Protestant brother / sister and that would not be my intention.
    I don’t know if any of my ramblings help or just confuse matters for your question. God alone can give a person the fullness of truth as he desires it.
    God bless you.
    G

• Serving God In FLA says:

I wouldn’t ! I am a Catholic and I personally feel that Protestants have the correct beliefs in that they revere the Holy Bible and Catholics have added more books to their version to compensate for their beliefs. God never meant for man to be alone or not have a woman unless the person prefers not to take up with a woman as his wife, yet the Catholic Religion forces man to live a celibate life of loneliness and the possibility of sexual deviancy is more apparent.

• Larry says:

They could very well be as eloquent as BO I wouldn’t leave common sense for idolatry.

• Saint Michael says:

Tell them about the wine!

• Alex says:

I have found that the majority of Protestants have a poor understanding of the origins of their own denomination. Every Protestant believes that their denominational creed or dogma is self-evident from Scripture. And, they never really think about the contradiction. That is, if a Pentecostal, Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterian all believe that Scriptural truths are self-evident, how do you determine which truth taught is actually the Truth? It follows that tracing the origin of a denomination leads one to understand that certain dogma’s have their origin with individual founders, men, whose interpretation started 1600 years later. I think a cursory review, or at least a brief overview of the Patristical writings (i.e. Polycarp, Ireneus, Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, etc.) make it clear that Catholic doctrine was the doctrine taught from the beginning. And that the various Protestant interpretations came about much much later and can be traced to certain men. That raises the question, why would you trust an individual thousands of years after the fact, over the understanding of men who learned the faith firsthand from the mouths of the Apostles themselves?

• cancer says:

i want to convinced my protestant bro & sis by opening a topic purgatory by relating it to the perfect justice of God, and faith as source of salvation by relating it to true faith produces good works. And asking them who is the 1st christian ever.