I thought “God” was above petty human attributes, such as emotions?

I thought “God” was above petty human attributes, such as emotions?
I just read this response to a question about whether or not “God” hates sinners:

“If I step on a bee that just stung me, do I hate it? No. I may have been angry at it. You’re trying to tell us God’s emotional state when He caused the flood or destroyed cities. No one can do that. It’s possible to be angry without hating.”

I thought “he” was above such trivial things?

Answer by Paladin
Sodom and Gemorrah?

Leave your answer below.

18 Responses to “I thought “God” was above petty human attributes, such as emotions?”

• Rance D says:

It is difficult to “assume” what God’s personal attributes or characteristics would be…

• Dad says:

Do you really think that God is defined by an entry in Yahoo!Answers?

• pooh bear says:

The shortest verse in the Bible was
    Jesus wept.
    God destroyed because He was ANGRY as the way the human race was living, and with the angels that transformed into humans so they could have intercourse with the human women.

• CuteWriter says:

Arguments about what god is thinking are ridiculous.

• greg62677 says:

The Lord is justice and we as people should not judge but give it up to Him.

• Pantherempress says:

He has emotions. After he did cause the flood and destroy cities.
    Plus, he seems to have a habit of preferring some people over others in the Bible.
    We get our emotions from him afterall.

• doomhammerony says:

God does not hate sinners, for He (Jesus) ate with them. God HATES SIN. God sent forth the flood for a very good reason, and that was because the only human left on earth to have his bloodline untouched was Noah (and Noah’s generations were perfect – perfect in the sense that his bloodline has not been altered). Who you might ask played around with humans and altered their genetic codes. Simple, the Sons of God, but the bad ones, for in the BIble angels are called the Sons of God, whether they are evil or good “And they took them wifes (The SoG) of all which they choose (doesnt sound like the wifes had anything to say about it does it?)” says the Bible.

• R.L. S says:

Who do you think gave you those “petty” attributes?

• I I says:

Anthropomorphism = term comes from the Greek anthropos, which means “man” and morphe, which means “form” and is used to refer to the tendency to attribute human motivations, characteristics, or other attributes to non-human things (like weather, nature, etc.).

According to the Bible…he had all sorts of human emotions…

Gen. 6:6, “And the Lord was SORRY that He had made man on the earth, and He was GRIEVED in His heart.”
    Exodus 20:5, “You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a JEALOUS God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me.”
    Judges 2:18, “…for the Lord was moved to PITY by their groaning because of those who oppressed and afflicted them.”
    1 Sam. 15:35, “And Samuel did not see Saul again until the day of his death; for Samuel GRIEVED over Saul. And the Lord regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel.”

I agree with you…doesn’t make sense that an all powerful god would have these emotions…

If he is truly omniscient (all knowing)…he sure did set himself up for alot of heart ache!

• lcalixte says:

Well if he were above these trivial emotions, why would he be ? I mean, why exist if you watch the fantastic human movie without feeling anything? I think God feels things and emotions, just to take profit on the universe,human beings and stories he created.

• Giorgos K says:

that’s another proof of gods non existance…ofcaurse the christians won’t think much about it…

• Rock Skull says:

I’ll make it simple, God was created by man, and man has emotions therefore we can only preceive god as having emotions, so yes he has emotions. In the meantime I hope we all die from a giant asteroid the earth is a sick place to live.

• kelly t says:

I don’t think it is a matter of God being above emotions, He is the author of emotions. Before the fall, emotions were pure. After Satan entered the picture, emotions became tainted, just like everything else. God is sad at his people for their choices.

• Robert L says:

Since God created us in His image and likeness, we often refer to His attributes in human terms because we are limited by our finite minds. We can also assume that the emotions we feel come from a being who has feelings. All throughout scripture it speaks of how God feels and scripture was inspired by God. What other conclusion can you come to?

• i love jesus says:

Hey, Inkybob, you just destroyed your own argument, but you have it backwards…

It is not that God does not have emotions because he is so far above humans, but rather humans have emotions because God does, and we are created in HIS image. Not that I think you’ll actually see what I mean, or be honest enough to admit it, if you DO!

Genesis 1:27 (KJV)
    So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

>”I thought “he” was above such trivial things?”

You thought WRONG again, bobby; that brain-god you worship is letting you down, son.

• RG says:

The Old Testament tells of a “God of wrath.” The new Testament calls him/her/it a “God of love.”

Perceptions of anything–real or imagined–will vary in different eras and in different cultures.

It’s humanity who ascribes these emotions to God. And we reflect our own egotism to think that God is a benevolent old man up in the sky, wallowing in ecstasy because of the praise that is constantly showered upon him by mankind. We have created God in our own image: how shallow a perspective!

Read Mark Twain’s “Letters From the Earth.” It’s no “Tom Sawyer;” it’s a real eye opener!

• union_american says:

God does have “emotions,” such as love, anger, and mercy. God has shown his anger a lot of times, such as when he chastens someone who sins (ex. Soddom and Gomorrah, the Flood), he has shown love (ex. sending his Son to die on the cross as an atonement for our sins), and he has shown mercy (ex. giving everyone here on earth a chance to repent and follow Christ when we deserve to die and go to hell).

• Natalie L says:

I am a strong christian and I am here to say, from my own studies, that God does NOT hate sinners. That would be everyone, including me. God hates his enemies. That is not sinners. Period. God says to pray for those who do not know him and to love thy neighbor, hate evil. People are not evil, demons are. Its pretty cut and dry there are just so many extremist that think they are christians but are more lost than what they refer to as “sinners”. Unfortunately they leave a bad rep for those of us who actually live the word of God istead interpreting it into what supports our own prejudices. I am sorry if anyone has led you to believe that in the name of God or Christ. Blessings.