Recommended reading for serious Catholics #2 “The Catholics verses”

New video:

“The Catholic verses: 95 bible passages that confound protestants” by Dave Armstrong … Catholicism catholic books Dave Armstrong Converts James White Apologetics Bible

9 Responses to “Recommended reading for serious Catholics #2 “The Catholics verses””

• loudmouthspeaker says:

HI – I see that you give a two big thumbs up but you havnt given any of its contents to be looked at….

who does this help me?

• boganlewis says:

I wouldn’t know about his education or his work history but he makes an excellent case in this book, have you read it?

• BenAliGtor says:

For the record: Armstrong’s only academic credential is a baccalaurate from a fourth tier state university in Detroit Michigan. Far from being employed as a “scholar”, his means of support at various times has included: peddling a home hydrotherepy device, driving a delivery truck, and my favorite, his own paper route.

If he’s an example of the Roman Catholic apologetic intelligensia, Protestantism has little to worry about.

• 1Hope4All says:

I have this book!! Great book!!

• boganlewis says:

thanks, i realised after i posted this vid that his website is actually in the book! lol oh well i’ll remember to check next time!

• labarum312 says:

For your info:

Dave Armstrong’s website is socrates58(dot)blogspot(dot)com

• elcamaras says:

I’m definitely getting this one.

• SeptemberCatholic18 says:

I’ve seen this one at a Mark Shea presentation. It is definitely a great resource.

• Thanks for the glowing review of my book. I’m humbled and honored.

“BenAliGtor” wrote: For the record: Armstrong’s only academic credential is a baccalaurate from a fourth tier state university in Detroit Michigan.

Wayne State University is the third largest in Michigan after U of M and MSU. Formal education isn’t everything. I’ve made an intense study of theology for over 30 years, and I think that shows in my work.

Far from being employed as a “scholar”,

Never claimed to be one, so I fail to see how this is relevant. Most of the most influential apologists were not formally theologically educated, just as in my case. C. S. Lewis was an English professor; so is Thomas Howard. Peter Kreeft is a professor of philosophy. Malcolm Muggeridge was a journalist. G. K. Chesterton (I just had a book of his quotations published), most notably was not only without a theology degree, but any degree whatever. He took a few classes: mostly in art, and never graduated. Does that mean he is not an apologist, too?

This is clearly an attempt to smear my name as well, but I think it backfires. I’ve been doing apologetics full-time now since December 2001. Few people can live largely off of author royalties, as I have, without the benefit of lecture tours, radio, or TV. If my critic thinks that is easy to accomplish, I’d like to see him try it.

At times, to help pay the bills (I have four children), I have taken on various part-time jobs in addition to my writing. Currently I am on staff (part-time) at the Coming Home Network, as the Forum Moderator and Coordinator. For a year-and-a-half in 2004-2005, I had a large urban paper route (some 300 houses). It was a wonderful time, and taught my three boys volumes about working and responsibility (they all helped and were paid for it). We all cherish those great times we shared working together. All honest work is honorable. There is nothing to be ashamed of in any work. But I suppose my critic is the type who scorns and looks down upon janitors, supermarket baggers, maids, Burger King workers, orderlies: anything he considers menial work, and “below” him. That’s not the Christian attitude. Oftentimes, the work we look down on is absolutely crucial for society to function. And some of the most important work there is, in completely without pay (stay-at-home moms, home-schoolers: my wife does both things, and I think what she does is far more valuable than what I do). But that brings home no money and is frowned upon by many , so I suppose my critic will look down his nose at her too. That’s fine; he only hurts himself.

However I may be viewed, the fact remains that many hundreds have cited my work as a reason for their conversion or return to Catholicism. My critic can keep up his smear tactics; I’ll keep writing books and trying to help people to understand their faith better, to live more confidently in Christ, to successfully integrate faith and reason, and to defend their views against those who oppose them.

Let the insults fly: they have never hindered me in the slightest from doing what I do. I have yet to be stoned. “Sticks and stones . . .” This “critique” is typical of the sort of garbage I regularly get. People see it for what it is.

Anyone interested in my book can read excerpts and see the table of contents on its own page:

It’s also available as an e-book in my 16 books for $25 package deal:

Let me offer my deep and sincere thankfulness to all who have purchased and read my books. I hope they have been edifying and educational for you.