A question from a reader: My friend is going to have her Catholic Confirmation in a few months, and has invited me to be there. I asked if a gift would be appropriate, and she said yes, but I’m not exactly sure what to get her. I’m not Catholic, so I have no idea what would be expected. Any suggestions?

13 Responses to “What type of gift should you get someone to celebrate their Catholic Confirmation?”

• Dylan says:

lol… an upside-down cross.

• Jules Duchone says:

Not to sound crass, but CASH is always good. Or if not, many Catholic churches has a small bookshop. Stop by and see what they have available.

• me says:

.Stick with something you know she would like that is not something she will out grow (clothes) or consume (food, starbucks). it does not have to be spiritual, but positive in message (if music consider the words). jewelry, a jewelry box is always good

• treehse65 says:

• David says:

Some of those kiosks at the mall have those decorations 3-d etched inside a glass cube. My dad got me one for my conformation with a cross in it.

• Hikikomori says:

a gun to blow her brains out. jk. or am i?

• ManBearPigMustBeStopped says:

For a Catholic child?

Anal lube.

• Messenger of God says:

A Rosary would be a nice gift to give someone. Or buy her a Catholic Prayer Book, most of them are inexpensive and make excellent Confirmation gifts.

• Ron says:

While I’m not a religious person myself, I have total respect for other peoples religion and I’m disgusted by some of the answers you have got.

Peoples faith is very important to them and if you don’t share it, don’t knock it.

There are plenty of gift ideas on the web, this is just one with some lovely ideas for you.

• Misty says:

A Bible, Rosary, statue or medal of her chosen saint, a book about her chosen saint, or any saint, a crucifix necklace, etc. Things of a religious nature.

Money is really not a good gift, in that it does not address the religious aspect of the day.

• answer4you says:

Some gift ideas…

1) Holy Spirit Pendant
    2) Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC)
    3) New Bible (New American Bible)
    4) Bible tabs
    5) Nice rosary
    6) Books from early Church Fathers
    7) etc…

• ConcernedAetheist says:

In reply to RON`s comment, I would like to say that these trolls are trying to be funny (ScottS almost succeeds) people like ManBearPigMustBeStopped are attempting to make witty and incisive comments about the nature of the church today. Just because people take religion very seriously doesn`t mean those that think it is silly should be PERSECUTED for satirising it, as it is, just like many other human foibles, quirks and virtues, a human thing. Take religion too seriously, and you get a load of idealist/slightly nutsy ideas mixed up with REAL LIFE, and big issues, affecting people who have no wish to get too involved… like the Spanish Inquisition. Just because people take religion seriously and claim it to be above and beyond the everyday doesn`t mean we can`t all have a good “laff” about it. I mean, there are cartoons mocking politics, and nobody (except possibly the subjects) complains about them. And to those who think religion is hloy and shouldn`t be mocked by ignorant and everyday people… type in “Child Abuse Ireland Scandal Catholic Priests” into Google. After reading about that, can you still believe that religion is holier than normality, and shouldn`t be interfered with or mocked by ordinary people? The ignorant and everyday victims of the Spanish Inquisition and child sex abuse scandal took a lot worse than a bit of satire, didn`t they? Religions have no right to maintain their untouchable, righteous, Holier-Than-Thou attitude!