…or are they just too stupid to think so.

We all know that Catholics do not see the pope as God. One must either be motivated by a very strong hatred that he would say such a lie to malign the Catholics…or one must be utterly stupid to believe that Catholics consider their pope as God.

I know not all fundamentalists say that the Catholics worship the pope, but I have seen some fundamentalists say this here on R&S.

Answer by Kevin B.
They aren’t lying per se, they simply do not understand Catholicism, and can’t be bothered to learn more about it.

Repeating a falsehood someone tells you isn’t LYING, technically, if you don’t know it isn’t true.

Know better? Leave your own answer below.

12 Responses to “When some fundamentalists say that Catholics worship the pope as God, are they lying?”

• Kikbxer213 says:

The Pope is not God to Catholics. The ones thinking such are not lying, just misinformed.

• Matthew says:

Catholicism is a lie and hopefully one day you see it and get away from it. It’s a religion being run by Satan with all of it’s man made rules. Every “pope” is a false prophet. Stay away from it. Jesus is God and the only way into heaven. Please pray a sincere prayer with all of your heart admitting to Jesus you are a sinner. Have full faith that His blood pays off all of your sins and accept His gift of everlasting life. I pray that God blesses you with peace. Amen.

• Rudy says:

The pope is human and therefore cannot be worshiped as God. But in matters of faith and doctrine, the pope is infallible because he is the visible image of Jesus and has His authority.

• rockstar says:

let people say whatever they want , just keep 1 thing in mind why pray 2 some1 who himself is going 2 die some day ? pray to god and connect to him .god is present with us always even inside us too . god appears from inside us .

• imacatholic2 says:

I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are just ignorant.

The Pope is the direct successor of Saint Peter, the first Pope.

John 21:15-17 states:

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”

He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” (Jesus) said to him, “Feed my sheep.

Matthew 16:17-19 states:

Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

The Catholic Church believes the Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the “rock” of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock.

The Pope is the senior pastor of 1.1 billion Catholic Christians, the direct successor of Simon Peter.

The Pope’s main roles include teaching, sanctifying, and governing.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, section 880-882: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect2chpt3art9p4.shtml#880

With love in Christ.

• Sniper says:

They are definitely lying!!!

• ROBERT P says:

They will say anything to discredit Catholicism. As soon as the word “Catholic” appears in a question, all hell breaks loose, so to speak. It is like waving a red flag at a bull! All the Catholic bigots start charging with their lies and stupidity. And no matter how many times we correct them, it never sinks in. They start all over again when another question about Catholics is posted.

• Andres de Saya says:

A lot of the fundies are motivated by hatred. But then again a lot of them are also stupid.

• Jehoel disciple of Jesus says:

No Christian i know says catholics worship the pope.

The catholics do worship Mary as God.
    1. The catholic church says Mary is the Queen of heaven.
    2. In order to have a Queen there must be a King.
    3. God the Son is the King.
    4. Therefore the catholics are saying Mary is god.

• Brakes Required says:

Well, it can be an oversimplification.

The Catholics have a pope who essentially has absolute authority in all things religious. Practically speaking of course, its not absolute, but the pope’s word is not to be challenged.

Fundamentalists look on this kind of power and authority with all kinds of suspicion and its a small step in their minds to declaring that Catholics “worship” the pope, and they can use their oversimplified understanding of what Catholics do, along with some outright fibs and distortions, to “prove” their point.

So, in the main, it all comes down to ignorance, and not a little arrogance.

Btw, I’m Mennonite, so I’m actually not well versed on Catholic things. Apologies for any inaccuracies in what I just said.

EDIT: It’s probably more common to criticize the worship of the Virgin Mary than to claim that Catholics worship the Pope.

• Aleria says:

In a way they are lying, but I do not think they know they are.

Those I would consider “too stupid” would be the ones whom we have continuously told this is not true and proved it and still continue to say that we do. They have been corrected and refuse to listen, they are fools according to God.

Many Fundamentalists get their information about Catholicism from two sources:

Jack Chick (his “wonderful” tracts)
    Lorraine Boettner and his Anti-Catholic book “Roman Catholicism”

For many of them, “Roman Catholicism” is their Bible. This is what they use in learning about Catholicism even though the book has been refuted and shown to be in great error.

Boettner states many false facts and out right lies about Catholicism that seem too ridiculous to believe and yet people do.

As this is where they get most of their information and don’t think to learn about Catholicism from Catholic sources…there is a lot of confusion.

It’s like trying to learn Spanish from a French teacher. It just doesn’t work without a lot of confusion and misunderstandings.

—————–
    Added:

Perfect example:

“No Christian i know says catholics worship the pope.

The catholics do worship Mary as God.
    1. The catholic church says Mary is the Queen of heaven.
    2. In order to have a Queen there must be a King.
    3. God the Son is the King.
    4. Therefore the catholics are saying Mary is god.”

Catholics DO NOT worship Mary as God.

We say she is the Queen of Heaven BECAUSE Jesus Christ is King. Look up the Davidic Kingdom in the Old Testament and see that the mother of the King is the queen, not the wife of the King. As Jesus said He came to restore the Davidic Kingdom, Mary being Queen only strengthens the belief in the Davidic Kingdom and Jesus as the King of Heaven.

We do NOT WORSHIP MARY AS GOD OR AS A GODDESS. WE DO NOT WORSHIP MARY AT ALL.