Why do the Baptists not believe in baptism?

Why do the Baptists not believe in baptism?
What about acts 2:38?
Repent and bebaptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins and ye shall recieve the gift of the Hoy Ghost.
Ive never heard that verse quoted in a Baptist Church. Have you?

Answer by gorgeous(VT2)txwoman
They do, immersion in fact.

I was baptized in a Baptist church when I was 16 and going through Jesus freak days.

Add your own answer below.

19 Responses to “Why do the Baptists not believe in baptism?”

• Stacey P says:

Baptists DO believe in baptism but not when you are born. You have to make that decision on your on.

I have heard that quoted and have been to many Baptist churches and they all practice baptism.

• Anne says:

um..i was raised baptist and i was baptised sooo….i don’t know what you’re talking about

• Coralsnayk says:

Yes, they also don’t like drinking or cursing or fornicating (or at least where they can be found out doing it.)

• theadesmoines says:

I am a Baptist and we do believe in baptism. I was baptised at the age of 12. I’m not sure where you’re getting your “facts.” And just because you’ve never heard a certain verse quoted doesn’t mean it’s never been quoted in any Baptist church. Our minister quotes many verses about baptism, especially when he’s performing a baptism ceremony.

• 3 says:

? Baptists believe in baptism… they don’t believe baptism saves you, but that it should be done.

• Marooned on Earth says:

I was baptised in a Baptist church. I was so young I don’t even remember how old I was. But I remember it happening.

• elaine30705 says:

There are those that deny the word,s of Christ,and they can not be right,Christ said to be baptised so we should do what he said.

• outdoormom says:

Baptists do believe in baptism. I have been a baptist all my life and we practice baptism quite frequently. However, we do not believe that you have to be baptized in order to be saved.

• ............... says:

It doesn’t really matter if the QUOTE it…..they still have baptisms in their church….or at least they did when I was asked to attend a baptism of a cousin.

You’re getting kind of nit-picky, don’t cha think?????

• sassinya says:

It is a declaration of faith, but it is not necessary for salvation.
    There is a difference. It’s not like Christ took some water from the cross and threw it on the guy next to him (also on a cross) before he said to him you will now join me in my fathers kingdom…. did he?

Baptism is symbolic

• Caleb's Mom says:

Nope, but it is quoted quite often in my Pentecostal Apostolic church.

• ceegt says:

Yes. And I am a member of the 1st Baptist church. Not only have I heard this scripture many times, but the church has a baptismol pond that gets used on a regular basis. I am not sure where you got your information from, but what you have asked is false.

• FarmerCec says:

When the Baptist Church first started, it was called the “Anti-Baptist” after a while they dropped the “anti” and were known only as “Baptist”

i added a link for you for further study

• PaulCyp says:

They do believe in baptism, but not as the original Christian Church believed in it and still believes in it. Like other Protestant churches, they have reduced baptism to a mere symbolic gesture that human beings make to profess their faith in God. The original Christian Church believed and still believes the Word of God, that one cannot enter the Kingdom without being reborn through water and the Spirit, in the holy Sacrament of Baptism. Like every Sacrament, Baptism is a work of God, not of men, through which He fills us with grace and fundamentally changes us spiritually. In Baptism we become children of God, heirs of heaven, and members of God’s family, the Church.

• Brian F says:

I hope those reading this page will not be more confused about Christianity than when you started. Baptists WILL make it to heaven if they know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. I pray the Lord will show you something about what the word “grace” means.

• Birdbrain says:

The Baptists do believe in baptism as an outward sign to everyone that they have been saved. The scripture that was quoted is actually quoted, “Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ because of the remission of your sins…” Having talked with many Baptists this is what they have told me. Baptism is not essential for salvation.

• lizardmama says:

Yes, in every Baptist church I have ever been in!!!

In fact, they were given the name “Baptists” because of their propensity to baptize everyone they met. Haven’t you ever noticed the large baptismal pool at the front of every Baptist church? It’s sometimes hidden behind a drape for aesthetics, but it’s ALWAYS there!

• bama_jld says:

Of course Baptists baptize. That is why they are called “Baptists”!

But they don’t baptize “for the remission of sins” (or “unto the remission of sins” – ASV) as this verse teaches!

(My wife grew up in the Baptist church and she said she had never heard Acts 2:38 preached.)

What about Mark 16:16?

Jesus said, “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved”.

Many Baptist churches teach that you believe, you are saved, and then you shall be baptized.

This is not the same thing Jesus said! It is not in the same order!

What would Jesus have said if He had meant “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved”?

I believe He said what He meant and meant what He said! I believe Jesus! “He that believes not shall be condemned!” (Mark 16:16)

What about 1 Peter 3:21? Peter said “baptism now saves”! What would he have said if he had meant “baptism now saves”?

Baptism puts you into contact with Christ’s death (Romans 6:3-13, Colossians 2:12) That is where the saving blood was shed. How can you be saved if you do not contact His blood?

At baptism you “rise to walk in newness of life”. How can you be saved if you are not born again into this new life in Christ?

At baptism, you are “baptized into Christ” (Galatians 3:27, Romans 6:3-4). Can you be saved outside of Christ?

Jesus commanded baptism. “And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.” (Hebrews 5:9)

Do those who say baptism is not necessary believe you can be saved without obeying Christ? That’s not what Hebrews 5:9 says!

• sps74 says:

Well I’m a baptist and I WAS baptized, so I’m not sure where you got your information.