Why don’t Muslims refer to Allah as “God”?

Why don’t Muslims refer to Allah as “God”?
I believe Allah is the arabic word for God…so when we read translations or speak… why do we always say “Allah” and not “God”?

For example: Insha Allah translates to “If Allah wills”. Wouldn’t “If God wills” be suffice.

I have a feeling that those of my friends who don’t understand Islam think “Allah” is a name of “our” God… like Shiva is one of the Hindu Gods.

Also…why can’t Jews say “God” or write it out… meanwhile Muslims say Allah’s name in basically everything we do?

Salam
I know God is Allah in English… BUT WHY do Muslims say Allah when talking (whether it be conversational…discussing teh Quran or talking during khutbas)… people always say ‘there is no God but Allah…’ but if they are translating the shahada… why not say ‘there is no God but God’

and I see Muslims say ‘Allah knows best’ instead of ‘God knows best’…. I know both mean the same thing… but why don’t we say God when translating?

ALSO… why can’t Jews say God and write G-d… while Muslims say Gods name in basically everything we do?

Allahuakbar

Answer by Yellow Rat
Allah is Arabic for god.

Leave your answer below.

9 Responses to “Why don’t Muslims refer to Allah as “God”?”

• Weekly E says:

in englihs we say “god”..in arabic we say “allah”

• £ºV€ Hü®T§ §º says:

Does it Mean God?

The word “Allah” is the perfect description of the “One God” of monotheism for Jews, Christians and Muslims!

Is “Allah” only for Islam and Muslims?
    [No! It is for All Three Abrahamic Faiths.]

“Allah” is the same word used by Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs in their Bible, centuries before Islam came.

On page one [1] of Genesis in the Old Testament, we find the word “Allah” seventeen [17] times.

Every hotel and motel has a Bible. Next time you see one look in the introduction, you will find samples of the different languages they have translated. For Arabic they have translated the verse in the New Testament in Arabic from the famous verse in the Gospel John 3:16 –

“For God so loved the world…”
    – and the word the translators used in Arabic for “God” is the very same word used by Muslims around the planet, “Allah.”
    Where Does the word “Allah” Come From?

“Allah” comes from the Arabic word “elah”a god’ or something worshiped. – (Arabic) means ‘

This word (elah) can be made plural (gods), as in “aleha” and it can be male or female just as the word in English can be “goddess.”

“Allah” comes from “elaha” but it brings more clarification and understanding.

Allah = Has no gender (not male and not female)
    “He” is used only out of respect and dignity – not for gender
    Allah = Always singular – Never plural
    “We” is used only as the “Royal WE” just as in English for royalty
    Allah = Means “The Only One to be Worshipped”

edit:

It is a known fact that every language has one or more terms that are used in reference to God and sometimes to lesser deities. This is not the case with Allah. Allah is the personal name of the One true God. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. This shows its uniqueness when compared with the word god which can be made plural, gods, or feminine, goddess. It is interesting to notice that Allah is the personal name of God in Aramaic, the language of Jesus and a sister language of Arabic.

• biro206 says:

I don’t think I have ever heard a Muslim while speaking English say God in English.

• Brigette? or not? says:

Iam a muslim American and when I speak to someone of another faith I will use the English GOD instead of Allah so that I do not confuse them. It is easily understood that Allah-arabic=God-english.

It’s a matter of the person because I have heard it both ways. I think mostly people use the Arabic to distinguish Islam from other religions

• My name is not bruce says:

Yeah, i typically just say “God”. I guess “the god” is better….but in modern times in the west…..with monotheism being the dominant form of religion…the concept of god being anything besides only 1 supreme being is sort of non-existent. God doesn’t refer to one of many. I think though thats the issue….. the word god…doesn’t in itself hold that definition of only 1 supreme being. It can be one of many. But like i said before….its a colloquial implied understanding of 1 supreme being.

The jewish thing. Well I was explained that they don’t write “god” on paper….since it might be thrown out….sorta of the same concept as why many muslims burn old pages of the quran rather than throwing them out. Its a more conservative approach.

Rather than discussing if the same rule applies to the internet….they just do what they have been doing. It really isn’t a super important topic to have a scholarly debate about.

• Happily Happy says:

£ºV€ Hü®T§ §º gave you good answer.

Many muslims do use God for Allah while speaking in English. However, sometime it is also important to acknowledge that Allah chose to reveal His last message in Arabic.

• leon21agustus says:

It is called as such just to differentiate from others so called gods.

• tougher than I look says:

I say God now and then, despite being a Muslim. Dont see why I shouldnt. I cant speak Arabic. Doesnt stop me being a Muslim. Calling Allah by any other name should do no harm either.
    However, since Allah is the Arabic meaning of God, and the Quran was written in Arabic, most ppl prefer saying it thus(sort of like the reason ppl memorise surahs in Arabic, though they dont speak the language itself).
    As for the verse ‘There is no God but Allah’, it was basically meant for the polytheists, to explain that there is only one God and no others.

• ॐ obscured ॐ says: